Free Tech Forum
It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:53 pm

Only registered members can access to many hidden very useful forums. Click here to Register for free or Click here to Login

Board index » Tech » Computers

[ 2 posts ] 

Bot

Date:

#  

#  

What are Tracking Cookies? Post Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:39 pm 
What are Tracking Cookies?
Every time, when I scan my computer using Norton Antivirus, it is detects ten or more Tracking cookies. Will It affect my computer in anyway? Is there anything I should do to avoid it?

Norton Mentions it as a threat of low priority, it also says that No Further action is required and resolves on its own.

Can anyone please explain? :?

Thanks in advance.

Bot

#  

#  

Site Admin

All about Tracking Cookies Post Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:16 pm 

Tracking Cookies

Not all cookies are tracking cookies. A Tracking Cookie is a specific kind of cookie that is distributed, shared and read across one or more un-related websites for the purpose of collecting user information or to deliver customized data to you.

Example of a Tracking Cookie

For example, if a website is using some third party advertising media, when you visit that website, the third party advertising media will store a tracking cookie on your computer browser in order to track your browsing interest and to deliver proper advertisements (Ads based on your browsing interests). That's why when you are frequently visiting job websites, and you are visiting a website, you can see job related advertisements on that website.

Is this Tracking cookie harmful?

Tracking cookies are not harmful like computer viruses, spyware, malware, worms etc. But they may break your privacy by collecting some of your information like browsing interests etc.

Do I need to worry if tracking cookies are detected by Anti-Virus ?

If it's having low priority, you don't need to worry more. However if you are really concerned about your privacy, you can delete those cookies via your web browser or via anti-virus.

Advanced Tracking Flash Cookie

Now a days, many websites are using flash cookies for tracking purpose. You can't delete those cookies via browser, but can delete those by using this addon for Mozilla firefox
Code:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/betterprivacy/

You can also delete it by using the software flash cookie cleaner
Code:
http://www.flashcookiecleaner.com/

Jump to: